Thursday, March 25, 2010

My creative space: my first quilt

This creative space is a bit retrospective. And the reason for this is also the reason this blog has been a bit sketchy lately, and why the posts that have appeared have been light-on in the photo department. You see, some less fortunate souls decided our house was an easy target, and late one January afternoon decided to help themselves to our tv, laptop, ipod, camera and worst of all my touring bike, which is like a dear friend.

When someone steals your electrical stuff it's irritating, but when they steal your bike it's different. It's personal. Which means that I am now constantly on the look-out, making a quick assessment of every bike that goes past to see if it's mine (what I will actually do if I see it, I haven't quite thought through. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it...).

The point of all this is that I have a new camera (a Canon G11, to replace the brand new Canon G11 that disappeared). And so I can finally show you my new(ish) quilt. Ready?


I really love this quilt. Some of the fabric is opped, some I picked up new but heavily discounted, and a couple of pieces were worth paying full price for.

You may notice I started hand stitching the quilting (in a sashiko pattern). Knowing this was a big task when I took it on, I persisted - for a while... then (yawn), I grew a little bored. The quilt was relegated to a guilt inducing pile on top of my bedroom drawers. It taunted me, "you never finish anything", "come on, stop starting new projects and just finish me already". So I did.

The hand quilting went out the window, and within a few hours I'd stitched in the ditches and attached the (cheaters) store-bought binding. But it was finished. Well... sort of. Really I should unpick the handstitching, but it seems a bit of a waste. And it's a nice reminder that aspiration is great, but sometimes you get more satisfaction when you respect your limitations...

For loads more creativity, launch off from Kirsty's.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Nycole,

    So sorry to hear that you were burgled - that's just horrible! But I'll delighted to see that it didn't affect your creativity. You're quilt is beautiful, well done. If I was capable of making something like that I would be very proud of myself....

    Take care, Emma :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've given me hope ... i'm working myself up to my first quilt and yours has turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nyc, the quilt looks fantastic! I went to a clearing sale last weekend and there was a quilting machine in one of the lots. Thought of you, but looks like you don't need it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your lovely comments - I'm humbled x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done a sensational job, and all of your squares corners meet - something I just cannot manage to do. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. getting burgled sucks! for me the hardest part was to deal with the idea that somebody had invaded my private space and the stupidity of having hundreds of dollars of cash hidden away in my drawer. I was waiting for the 'right time' to go to the bank, sigh.

    your quilt is gorgeous. i wouldn't have the patience. i think the hand stitching adds to its charm, don't worry about it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails