Sunday, March 14, 2010

do shopping centres scare you?

Today I watched a program about anxiety, phobias and physical responses. There was a woman who had agoraphobia, and had barely left her house in years. One of the treatment methods was for a therapist to 'expose' her to situations that triggered her anxiety. There was footage of them in a shopping centre. She was training her brain to adjust to the environment.
Now, not for a minute am I suggesting agoraphobia or other anxiety disorders are not serious. Quite the opposite. I think the more sensitive people in our society, the ones who are more often prone to mental health issues, act as our societal barometer. They detect when things aren't quite right.
My point is, in many ways, this woman was right. A shopping centre should induce panic. The fact that they don't, and we are building more and more of them, is the real cause for concern.

image credit: avlxyz

Do shopping centres scare you?

4 comments:

  1. They don't scare me so much, just stress me. I get lost going in and trying to get out of them! Often I'll have a long list of things to get/do but I abandon the list halfway through because I want to run home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they terrify me. From the undercover parking which I hate, to the air conditioning, the low level hum, the shops ans shops ans more shops, the bright lights...I could keep going all night. I'll take street strip shopping anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. like Katy, they more stress than scare me. I think they are souless places, and I usually feel down after visiting them. My own moan about this recently here -http://bountifully.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-morning-at-shoppo.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. they do! they make me stressed, angry and frustrated too. every time I go to one I feel like all the energy in me has been sucked out. I also think it's not healthy to spend too much time in a thoroughly commercial environment. at least for me spending time at a shopping centre creates false needs and these false needs create unhappiness(to simplify a complex argument).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails