Thursday, May 13, 2010

My creative space: all you need is bunting...

You will have to forgive me over the next few months, I suspect there will be a disproportionate number of posts here that are wedding-related, as we ramp up the intensity as we get closer to Oct 2. Some will be to do with the guerilla knitting project, but I am hoping there will be lots of other hand made elements to the wedding, too.

Most of these are just ideas floating around in my head at this stage, but one I have started to make some progress on is the bunting. Inspired by other gorgeous weddings profiled on Design Sponge, Once Wed and my very favourite photography blog + website, our labour of love (you really must check it out, the photos are to die for!), of course we just had to have bunting.

Not wanting to use (or buy) too much new fabric, I hit my stash for shades of orange, yellow, pink and red, and got to it...

My triangle template was 6.5 inches wide x 7.5 inches long, which includes the seam allowance. Because I tried to squeeze as many out of the fabric as possible, some ended up a little smaller than others, but hey, it's part of the charm, right?

Once they were all sewn, I trimmed the pointy bit so that they weren't too bulky (photos would be good about here!) and then turned them right side out, using a knitting needle to get the gently ease the point out. After ironing I trimmed the raw edge to be nice and clean. Next comes the binding...


It was my first chance to use my new Singer that my mum and my nan picked up at a yard sale in the country for $50 - which (don't be too jealous!) included the Eames era cabinet, plenty of thread, elastic, needles etc, AND a Singer skirt marker. Any guesses as to what that is? (the answer coming next post, partly as I don't have a photo...)

She's slow and steady, and that wins in the end, right?


Making bunting's a bigger job than I thought. Especially when you are making over 30 metres of it. As you go along, you start getting better at it, working out ways to save time, 'chunking' the work. Cutting, sewing, turning, ironing, trimming, binding (not much pinning in there, I must admit. I'm really bad at pinning!).

Almost there, about half the flags left to bind. Here's a sneak peek of where it will be hanging on the day (if you squint you might be able to imagine it!)

Should look good, don't you think?

For more creative spaces, pop on over to Kirsty's...

8 comments:

  1. love love love, really need to make me one..

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh it will look so fabulous. I would love to follow along with your wedding happenings - no apology needed here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wedding bunting is going to look fantastic!! I love the colours and patterns, very fresh and funky! Happy bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT'S GOING TO BE AMAZING! I didn't even have to squint. And as far as your guerilla knitting is concerned: INSPIRED.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bunting is looking fabulous. It's going to look great on the day...all the best with your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the space is amazing and it will look even better with your pretty bunting!

    i'll have to show the finnish aka easy way to knit next time we meet. unless you already know it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I *heart* bunting! Your wedding is going to be beautiful :)

    (PS. The Singer is great. My Mum *gave away* her antique knee-press Singer that I learned to sew on - to someone of no consequence. I will never forgive her!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails