Thursday, August 27, 2009

My creative space

oooh, this is my first time playing...


this is the beret I started the other weekend, for all intents and purposes finished, but, I just noticed - looking a little short. As per usual, it is important to actually read the pattern and check that you have in fact knitted all the rows. Now, I'm afraid, after all those satisfying k2togs, seeing each row grow shorter and shorter and quicker and quicker to knit, I must pull them all out.

I think it's important to be philosophical about these things...

(in a related story, I went to the Writer's Festival on the weekend and saw Kate Grenville, who is incredibly intelligent and articulate and was a joy to listen to. She also readily admits to being obsessive, which I think, if you write 30 drafts of a novel is a label you must learn to live with. But the way she describes it is, because she knows she will write so many drafts, for the first 15 or so she can let things go off in any direction they please. It sounds quite liberating...

I do not deign to compare myself to Kate Grenville, but I think in life perhaps we can all be a bit perfectionistic, and determined to get things exactly right the first time. When perhaps the best bits appear only after we have given ourselves the permission to make mistakes)

I digress. Here goes:

(sorry - bad pics - I'm at the office...)
Now to pick up all those stitches!

(more creative spaces over here. More red things here)

4 comments:

  1. sorry to hear you have to unpick, it's terribly frustrating but you are right in needing to be perfect. It's a gorgeous beret and there's no point in not being able to wear it!! It will worth all that work, I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel - you're right. And the best bit is I'm going to knit it even longer than the pattern says, which means it will kinda be my own creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the ripping out...it looks wonderfully crinkly & full of perfect promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nyc, that's a much nicer beret than what we had to wear at the Writers Festival. Hope you found all those stitches.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails